Ubuntu Youth Leadership Centre provides educational support to orphaned, academically talented students. We support orphaned and poor students who are committed to contributing to their community and initiating change by providing access to full financial support to study at a university in Uganda (equivalent to undergraduate degree), covering only tuition.
All our students have experienced the psychological pain of losing one or both parents and the socio-economic hardships that comes with being an orphan.
Our future leaders scholarship program aims provide these scholars with higher education that unlock their potential that would have otherwise suffered a still birth. We strongly believe that on completion of their academic programs, these scholars will uplift their families and communities out of poverty cycle and help in building our country
This year’s intake has closed, the next intake opens on 1st April 2020
- Be an orphan, having lost one or both parents
- Be 23 or younger.
- Have graduated high school within the past two years
- Have a strong recommendation of need from the school administration.
- Show strong commitment and interest for higher education.
How to Apply
- Completed application form
- Working email address and telephone number
- Document proving the death of one or both parents, such as a death certificate
- Proof of age, such as a birth certificate, national ID or passport
- Secondary school/high school graduation certificate
- Results from final national exams
- Academic report cards from the last two years of high school/secondary school
- Recommendation letter from a principal or Head teacher
- Passport-style photo of yourself
- Both essays described below
EssaysPlease type/write using a separate sheet of paper. If you choose to handwrite your essays, please write in print and with black ink. Essays written with pencils will not be accepted.
Essay 1: Please describe how you grew up and experienced losing your parent(s). What challenges have you faced after the loss of your parent(s) and what have you done in order to overcome them? Please write in detail, especially the actions you took to continue and further your education. (Maximum 500 words)
Essay 2: Please describe the goals you wish to achieve after graduating from the university. Outline how the skills and knowledge you gain from a university degree would help you reach your goals when you complete your studies. (Maximum 500 words) Remember that these essays are personal, they are about you and so should only be written by you. UYLC is interested in how you make the most of what is available to you.